You must have an up-to-date health and safety qualification in order to be awarded with an ECS card. Why? It's designed to prevent accidents and promote safety and quality of work, to ensure all cardholders have a good level of health and safety awareness when on site.
You can meet the ECS H&S requirement in two ways:
- You must pass the ECS H&S Assessment.
- Alternatively you might have a valid ‘exemption’ – this means you already hold a qualification that meets or exceeds the required level of H&S knowledge.
Unfortunately we cannot accept the CSCS H&S assessment, as the ECS test is specifically designed for health and safety relating to electrotechnical workers.
The ECS H&S Assessment pass is valid for 2 years. You must submit your ECS application within that two-year period, or you’ll need to do a new assessment before your application can be processed.
Steps to follow:
- Choose where you'd like to take the assessment by looking at the locations and companies offering the assessment.
- Make your booking with your chosen provider.
- Visit our Preparation & Revision section to download the revision book. And revise!
- After the assessment, a result letter will be sent to you. This will typically be via an email to the address that you provide. This result letter will inform you if you have passed or failed the assessment.
- Once you've passed the assessment visit MyECS to continue your application.
Take a look at the sections below for more information about the assessment...